HOW TO HAVE A HOLY HOUR
By: Gary L. Rodgers
HOW TO HAVE A HOLY HOUR
By: Gary L. Rodgers
Come into God’s presence with praise and thanksgiving, acknowledge Him as our Lord and Savior; praising Him for all the great things He has done.
I will lift up my hands to the LORD in the morning hours, I will lift up my hands to you in praise!
Lamentations 3:41 Let us lift up our heart with [our] hands unto God in the heavens.
- 1. I PRAISE YOU LORD, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR;
- Goodness Psalm 107:8 & 9 Oh that [men] would praise the LORD [for] his goodness, and [for] his wonderful works to the children of men!
- Mercy Psalm 32:10 Many sorrows [shall be] to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.
- Longsuffering Psalm 86:15 But thou, O Lord, [art] a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
- Love John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- Wisdom Proverbs 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
- Knowledge Proverbs 2:5 & 6 5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. 6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth [cometh] knowledge and understanding.
- Understanding Proverbs 8:14 Counsel [is] mine, and sound wisdom: I [am] understanding; I have strength.
- Power Psalm 59:16 But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.
- Holiness Psalm 93:5 Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O LORD, forever.
- Glory 1 Chronicles 16:29 Give unto the LORD the glory [due] unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
- Grace Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God [is] a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good [thing] will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
NOTE: We should always come into God’s presence and depart from His presence with praise and thanksgiving. The importance of this cannot be over emphasized.
- 2. Confess all of your sins to God.
- Visualize placing your sins on the Golden Altar of God. Revelation 8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer [it] with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. 4And the smoke of the incense, [which came] with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel’s hand.
- If you have truly given your sins over to God then forget about them. They are no longer yours. God has wiped them away and you need to do the same.
Mind jogger on types of sin:
- Sins of the mind.
- Sins of the tongue.
- Sins of action or deeds.
- Sins of neglect.
- Sins of the heart.
- Sins of the flesh.
- Sins of unbelief
- Willful disobedience.
- 3. Waiting on God – Psalms 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
- We should take a few moments to be still and be aware that we are in The Presence of Almighty God.
- Listen for God’s still small voice through scripture as you continue in prayer.
1 Kings 19:11 -13 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake:
13 And it was [so], when Elijah heard [it], that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, [there came] a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
- 4. Intercession, Supplication and Fasting
- Intercession – is love on your knees pleading to God on behalf of others.
- Supplication – a humble and sincere appeal to God who has the power to grant a request.
- Fasting – incorporates Intercession and Supplication. It’s showing God that you sincerely mean business.
Items that need to (always) be a part of our prayers:
- Spouse – Health, Spiritual growth, Wisdom and knowledge, soul winning, Bible study and prayer
- Prayer for our Pastors, Deacons, Church Leaders, Teachers, Workers and Missionaries.
- Pray for their ministries
- Pray for their families
ü Protection – for them and their families
ü Health – for them and their families
ü Spiritual growth – for them and their families
ü Financial needs – for them and their families
ü Peace and harmony in the home and church family – for them and their families
- Pray for souls to be saved and church growth.
- Include those prayers that are part of your Prayer Diary.
- 5. Petitions – asking for self
- This is asking God to meet your needs.
ü Care, Protection and Harmony within your home and church family.
- 6. Claim the Victory with Thanksgiving
- We are on the winning side and should thank God for everything that He has done for us and is about to do for us.
1 Chronicles 29:11 Thine, O LORD, [is] the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all [that is] in the heaven and in the earth [is thine]; thine [is] the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
- 7. Singing and Psalms
- Singing scripture back to God is one of the highest forms of Worship and Praise.
- The book of Psalms is full of Prayers that we can pray and/or sing back to God.
|Unto Thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul
Unto Thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul
O my God, I trust in Thee
Yea, let none that wait, on Thee be ashamed
|Show me Thy ways O LORD, show me Thy ways
Teach me Thy paths O LORD, teach me Thy paths,
The secret of the Lord, is with them that fear Him
- 8. Second coming of Christ and The Will of God
- We should be praying and looking for the second coming of Christ.
2 Timothy 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
- We should be praying that the Will of God be done.
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- 9. Depart from God’s presence with Praise and Thanksgiving.
Revelation 7:12 Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, [be] unto our God for ever and ever.
In meditation the mind is very active in pondering spiritual things. Dwell on these things and allow God to speak to you through His Word.
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Prayer changes things
- Jesus taught us to speak to God through prayer.
- Prayer will transform your mind to think differently and act differently.
- Praying with a submissive spirit will renew your mind to see things the way that God sees them.
“Nothing of eternal value ever happens apart from prayer.”
Dr. Jerry Falwell
Verses of encouragement:
When you get discouraged and the light of joy in your heart seems to be but a flicker do as David did and ask the Lord to ;
NOTE: This verse speaks of restoring joy in your heart. It is not talking about restoring ones salvation.
“ Nehemiah 8:10c for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”